Monday, April 03, 2006

General Conference Weekend

So for those of you who don't know, (which would probably mean you don't know me) I'm a Latter-day Saint. (or a Mormon)

www.lds.org if you need more info than that

So, every six months our church holds what we call a General Conference and I love General conference for so many reasons. So it starts on Sat. with the first session at 9:00 pst and the second session at 1:00 pst, each session lasting two hours. Then men of the church then have a third session that evening. Conference continues the next day with two more sessions, morning and afternoon, like the day before.

Now why, one might ask, would any person (let alone the millions - yes millions who participate) want to go to church for a total of 8 hours in one weekend if your a woman or 10 hours if your a man. Well, let me tell you.

1. Due to the miracle of the internet I get to go to church in my PJ's at home. I plug in my laptop, go to the Church's website, and listen to a live stream of the Conference. While this might seem a little strange, and I wouldn't want to do it all the time, it's great every six months.

2. I get to knit during the sessions. That is 8 hours of guilt free knitting. EIGHT HOURS

3. The most important reason: I have the opportunity to stop dead in the tracks of my very busy life and listen to the most spiritual, loving, and inspired men and women in the world speak on the most sacred of topics for eight hours. I am given opportunity to listen to some of the most gifted voices in the world sing praises to the King of Kings. I am priveledged to be able to participate in something global, something transcendent, something powerful.

It is a glorious weekend and I am uplifted and renewed in so many ways by the experience every six months. That is a precious gift. Sounds nice, no? Well, the audio stream is available at the above website if you are interested in a taste, help yourself.

Now, all you knitters want to know, I know you do, what did I knit in eight + hours this weekend. Well, I usually have a specific project that I pick out just for conference, and this time, with a little inspiration from my Tues. night knitting partner, I chose something very fun and challenging. I tried my hand at knitting and crocheting with wire.

Ok, I have now tried three times to add the photos, and blogger isn't working rights, so you will just have to wait, sorry, but it's good to develop patience, right!

No comments:

Post a Comment