Saturday, March 11, 2006

Sisterly Love






There are few things that I enjoy more than knitting and talking with my 'baby' sister, Princess P. So while I was visiting her in December, she brought out a georgous Jeager sweater vest she had knit (photo included.) She, being the very naughty Princess that she is, had not checked her guage before knitting it and it turned out a little too big for her. I being the so sweet sister that I am offered to rescue this beautiful vest from the neglected corners of her closet. She sadly agreed on the condition that I knit something for her. Little did I know. . .
She brought me out fuzzy looking mess of yarn and handed me her copy of Debbie Stoller's first book. She had knit the Spiderweb capelet in that book twice, even with the errata, she couldn't get it to work. It was a mess. She had all ready ripped it out once and couldn't bear to do it again. So I took it home with me.
This is, hand's down, the worst pattern I have ever worked from. The errata changed the two major pattern rows but didn't change any of the other rows which also had problems. It had been Princess P.'s first attempt at lace, poor thing.
Anyway, it took a little improv, but I love my sister, and I love the Jeager sweater vest, she's worth a little lacy labor of love.
In addition, but completely unrelated to this whole story. My birthday was last month, and because she's my sister she can get away with it, P.P. just sent me a birthday present. She had it made for me, and it was worth the wait. It's perfect, don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. The argyle sweater is lovely! That's a great trade.

    So I tried to make the same capelet for my sister and I had no luck, even after finding the corrections. I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one. My sister whined about my not finishing it... gulp.

    ReplyDelete