Tuesday, January 23, 2007

For the Curious Among Us

For the culinarily curious

Gnocchi (pronounced NYOH-kee) are small dumplings usually made with potato and flour. Small ridges in the dough help the sauce to stick to the Gnocchi.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

They were wonderful, and very filling.
From Taste of Home 2007

4 med potatoes, peeled and quartered (I used 8 very small and had just the right amount.)
1 egg lightly beaten
1.5 t salt
1.75-2 C. flour
water

boil the potatoes, covered, until tender
drain, rinse with cool water, and mash
use 2 C. mashed potatoes and discard the rest (or use for something else)
add egg and salt to potatoes
gradually beat in flour until blended
turn out onto a lightly floured surface
knead 15 or so times
roll out into 1/2" wide ropes
cut into 1" wide pieces
using a lightly floured fork, slightly flatten each piece (makes the ridges)
boil more water
add gnocchi to boiling water in small batches (so they don't touch each other too much, I did it in three batches.)
when they float to the top they are done, take them out with a slotted spoon.
cover with sauce and parm. (or rice cheese if you're me) and eat!

For our sauce, I cheated a bit. I used a bottle of Classico, added about a 1/4 C. of red wine and a couple of cut of Aidell's chicken and apple sausages (SO GOOD!)
It's not as good as my homemade, but it's still good.

for the fiber curious

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

a little sneak peek at what I'm happily working on. . . and the yarn is from my stash. I'm so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment