Saturday, February 02, 2008

A (Silent) Poetry Reading

It 2 Feb. 2008, the Third Annual Bloggers (Silent) Poetry Reading.

I didn't participate last year, but I did enjoy the event, so I thought this year I would participate. I went looking for a poem the captured how I have been feeling these past few months of new motherhood.

I couldn't find anything that resonated with me.

So. . . I did something that I rarely do. I wrote something.

I used to write quite a bit of poetry, but it has become a rare occasion in the past 8 or so years.

I am now also going to do something I have NEVER done. I'm going to share it with you all. So, um, be kind. I'm no Walt Whitman.

I Never Knew

It is a street lamp that illuminates your peaceful face.
Still sleeping, by instinct, you draw milk from my breast.
Bundled tight against the night, compact and tidy.
My exhaustion answers your father’s sounds of sleep.

It is a halo of innocence and light that humbles me.
In perfect peace you draw life and return awe, strength, assurance.
Presented, wrapped as the greatest of gifts.
I am fulfilled and realized, protected by sacred union.

I never knew, my child. . . my child.
You have made me new.
I love you. I love you.

Megan Wright
2/2/08

There you are, a perhaps not so elegant look into my heart. I do love that little boy in a way and with a strength that I could have never comprehended before.

I know I promised you knitting, and I have it to show you, but Photobucket is being a pain in the bucket, so you'll have to wait one more day.

Talk to you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment