Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Girl of the Limberlost

I've just finished listening to A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter. It was wonderful. I was sad to have it come to an end, although it did end in an entirely appropriate place from my point of view. I have just discovered that she wrote another book about one of the lesser characters, Freckles, entitled the same. From my understanding, it takes place a generation before this book. I will add it to my list of books to read, but it isn't on Librivox. I don't know if that is because it isn't in the public domain or because it just hasn't been adopted as a project or completed yet.

I have been thinking that I may volunteer to read for a project while I am pregnant and not working or going to school. This is a much bigger decisions for me than you might think, as I am dyslexic and reading out loud is very difficult for me. I would have to have read the text several times first. Just thinking about it for now.
Here is a question for you all to ponder (and respond to if you so desire.) Is it better to serve in ways that utilize your natural talents, or is is more meaningful to serve in ways that are difficult for you?

Naturally, the Parable of the Talents (Matt 25:15-30) comes to mind. I have never really considered it in this way before. Of course, we should expand ourselves, increase our talents and use the ones we are blessed with, but in what capacity, in what way, and which carries more weight for those we serve and for us as individuals?

Knitting content coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment