Monday, May 14, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

Or not so happy Mother's Day, as the case may be.

I really do hope all of you had a wonderful day. Mine wasn't so hot. I was sick all night, and still sick all day, but the Duke was speaking in church, so I dragged myself out of bed to be there. I know he appreciated it. He gets so nervous. He did a great job.

(For those of you who are not familiar with Mormon clergy, we don't have paid ministers, so members of the congregation take turns giving the sermons. There are usually 2-3 per Sunday. A member speaks for 10-20 min. to a room full of 100-200 people. You might imagine, if public speaking isn't your thing, it can be a bit of a stressor.)

He was too focused on that and the stress of taking his board exams to consider that um, perhaps he should do something to mark this first Mother's Day for me. He did get me a card, but he lost it. I understand, I really do. It's kind of a hard patch right now, and besides, he is the everyday good kind of husband, and I wouldn't trade that for the once a year good kind of husband. (He is taking me on a picnic on Tues, too, so you see, everyday good, if not always once a year good.)

Actually, the hardest part of the day was talking to my family. I only had to make one phone call to talk to all the mothers in my family, both grandmothers, my mom, my sister, sister-in-law, and even one aunt.

They were all gathered at the Queen's house enjoying one another, having a delicious meal, and worst of all, eating Angle Food Cake with strawberries, my favorite. I was so happy that they were all enjoying their day as moms, but it was hard to hear about the day as I sat eating left over chicken noodle soup by myself. I wished so badly I was there, and (hint to the Queen) telling me it's my own fault for living in a different state did not help.

The Duke and I know without a doubt that we are where we are supposed to be. Washington is our home now and we love it here. We are doing our best to make our own traditions and surround ourselves with an extended family of friends and loved ones, but the truth is, that sometimes it's just hard to live far away from your family.

So, after a bit of cry, the Duke and I filled up the rest of our evening with dreams of the future. It was a refreshing way to end a difficult day.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Beautiful isn't it? We think so. Enough room for a gaggle of children (the remainder of the gaggle to be adopted, of course) and even a MIL apartment, so that some day, perhaps a mother or two will celebrate here in our paradise.

One thing about those Wrights, you can't keep them down for long!

No comments:

Post a Comment