Literal translation: "Still me."
Meaningful translation: "I'm the man!" (or woman as the case may be, as Tagalog has no gender specific pronouns- gotta love that.) or "I Rock!"
Today, for me, it means, that I am successfully navigating my world. It means that I am accomplishing my sometimes too lofty goals. It means that despite the reality that it is hard to be a woman in today's world, and that can sometimes frustrate me beyond rationality, when I take a step back I see that I am on my way to being the person that I want to be.
In the past 10 years I have managed to:
-live in the Philippines, learn about their culture, and become fluent (or proficient by academic standards) in their language, Tagalog.
- help people there learn how to better themselves and live more fulfilling lives.
- find and recognize the man of my dreams and marry him. (Probably the hardest thing on this list.)
- graduate with a BA from a great university.
- become extremely efficient at one profession, realize it wasn't for me, and take the risk to leave it.
- find a job and become submerged in an industry that I love.
- be admitted to a top 25 MBA program.
- support my husband (without divorcing him) through pharmacy school.
When I look around at the women around me, and the struggles they face, I am amazed and inspired.
I don't think that we often enough say AKO PA! Look what I have accomplished, look at the struggles I have overcome to get where I am. I deserve a freakin' award!
So here is my award to all of you. Post it on your blog along with a list of all that you have accomplished. Give yourself a big ol' pat on the back, and proclaim, with pride, to the world. . .