Monday, October 09, 2006

I've never participated in KAL, a Secret Pal Exchange, ect. ect. ect. . .

I had to start somewhere. I haven't knit socks for a long time. I have had some incredible sock yarn in my stash for some time now. I really like Grumparina's Jaywalker pattern (who doesn't). . .

So, here I am, an official Socktoberfest participant.

When did you start making socks? 3.5 years ago

Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? I taught myself, a friend gave me some sock yarn and a sock pattern as a going away present when I moved to Seattle.


What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time? I started knitting them as soon as I found a place to sit in my new (and dark) Seattle apartment. The pattern was a free Lion Brand pattern, it was a simple ribbed sock. The yarn was Lion Brand Sportweight Wool Ease. They are the only pair of knitted socks I own that survived my dog's destruction of knitted sock spree (yes, I did nearly kill him,) as they are 80% acrylic, and he only likes to chew natural fibers.


What would you have done differently? I didn't like the yarn so well, but it was free.


What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? I am knitting with Handmaiden's Merino sock yarn, and I love it. This is the second time I've knit with it. I also have a couple of skiens of Socks that Rock in my stash, but haven't tried it out yet.


Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? I use DPNs (size 1) I know how to use 2 circulars, and often show people how to do it at the shop, but I don't care for it myself.


Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) I only have done short-row heels. I like them, then again, I really like short rows in general, I use them when ever I can (shoulders, darts, wedges) I just like them.


How many pairs have you made? Not a lot, I'm not a dedicated sock knitter. Probably 4-5 adult size socks, and several baby bootie type socks.

There you go, my sock knitting history.

No comments:

Post a Comment