Monday, October 09, 2006

Pipe Dream

So, Chef Messy, is wondering about people's "pipe" dreams, as in dreams that we have that we are unlikely to see come to fruition.

As I thought about this, it occurred to me that I am one of those annoying people who decides they are going to do something, and then does it. When other people tell me that I can't do something, it usually makes me more determined. Here are a few examples

1. I was told that I didn't have the grades to get into BYU. (ie I didn't have a 4.0) I got in.
2. I was told that I shouldn't serve a mission because I was engaged and should get married. I did anyway, and good thing, because I would have been miserable married to that man.
3. I was told that there was no way the Duke and I could buy a house, in Seattle, on our salaries. We did.
4. I was told that there was no way I would be able to keep my house if I quit the job that I hated. I did anyway, and I still have my house.
5. I was told that I couldn't make enough money doing something I loved to do. We just spend less money.
6. I was told that I shouldn't go back to school, that it was pointless. I did anyway. It has all ready helped us a great deal in our business transactions.

Who are all these negative people in my life anyway? Actually, they have all been different people. It usually only takes one experience with a person as stubborn as I am for others to realize that there is no point in trying to discourage me, it actually achieves the opposite of what they were hoping for.

So, in the interest of true "pipe" dreams, I have thought up a few things that really would require a miracle for me to have happen.

1. For me to be athletic. I am not gifted in this area, it doesn't really bother me, but it would be nice if I didn't have to force myself to exercise, if there was some sport that I just loved to participate in.
2. If I could sleep normal hours. I have tried EVERYTHING. E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!
3. If my house was always clean and organized, my laundry always done and ironed, and my dogs always sweet smelling and groomed. (The miracle here would either have to be magical cleaning fairies, or me actually wanting this enough to always do it.)

Now here are a few of my future plans that I don't consider pipe dreams because I fully plan on achieving them.
1. To have a small herd of Alpacas
2. To have a very small herd of children
3. To serve another mission with the Duke

So now, lets hear about your pipe (or other wise categorized) dreams.

And thanks Chef Messy for starting such a fun topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment